Thursday, April 26, 2007

More Settling In - Paths Through The Beyond

Since it gets extremely tiresome to always be saying "the back half of the front 5 acres" or "the back 5 acres", I've decided to find names for the various locations around our property - sort of Anne of Green Gables' inspired labels.

So for starters, I'm trying on the name "The Beyond" for the area behind the swale that bisects our front 5 acres. This will allow me to call the back 5 acres, "The Back of Beyond." Yeah, I know, rather silly, but it makes me smile a bit, so I don't care.

This is a photo of the gateway from our backyard "Courtyard" to the wilder areas behind, including The Beyond.

This photo is of The Beyond itself. Last weekend, Prairiewolf mowed paths for me through it, which is wonderful, because it allows me to meander through without always having to douse myself in anti-chigger chemicals. (Chiggers absolutely love me, and my body seems to overreact to the relationship.) In exploring the new network, we discovered a big male box turtle, a couple small "prairie potholes", a clump of fragrant sumac (Rhus aromatica), an abandoned circle of barbed wire under an osage orange (Maclura pomifera) and fresh leaves on the poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans).


I also enjoyed a marvelous sunset. When the house gets frustrating in its continuous need for repairs and updates, the land calms me down and makes me remember why we moved out here in the first place.

No comments: