Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Weeks Have Flown By....

I can't believe that I've let so much time lapse since I last posted. It's been a busy time, but 6 weeks of "down time" is getting a little ridiculous. To partially justify my time away, I feel I should explain a little. During the weeks I've been neglecting this journal, I travelled to Lindsborg for a "girls' time out" with two good friends. Then, Prairiewolf and I travelled to Pensacola to help my brother celebrate his 50th birthday. After that exciting party and family get-together, I stayed on in the area and visited good friends in Mobile for several days. I've put together and given two talks, the first on "Green Gardening" in celebration of Earth Day and the second on "Gardening with Native Plants". It's garden tour season, and I've visited as many of the gardens on tour as I've been able to fit in, while "hostessing" at two of them.

Last in my list, but probably first in keeping me from blogging, Prairiewolf and I attended the Dyck Arboretum plant sale...and I went a little overboard. I actually had most of a new bed cleared and ready for occupants in the front yard, plus I had some definite holes in my courtyard (shade) bed, so I was primed and ready for plants!
And, boy, did I ever buy plants. For weeks, this has been the breezeway, while the plants have waited to be planted.

You see, I found that I wanted to have the front bed COMPLETELY cleared before I sited everything, so that I'd be able to plan for varying bloom times, plant heights, and flower colors more efficiently.
Then, of course, I kept finding a few more plants here, at this nursery...and a few more plants there, in Mobile...and yet a few more plants at the Farmers' Market...and so on and so forth. The piles never seemed to go down, no matter how many plants I got in the ground, and the weather started getting hotter and hotter.
Then HotLine began. All along, too, the vegetable garden has needed care.
I'm finally beginning to see a little open space developing again on the breezeway. Better yet, I seem to be developing a little bit of self control regarding buying new plants! It's been a lot of fun, but I'm ready to get all of my plants "put to bed" and move on with other summertime activities. I'll keep you posted on how that goes. Promise!

No comments: