Saturday, February 25, 2012

Skunked and Deskunked

It's spring and, naturally, a young (neutered) male's attentions turn to...new toys???

1:30 a.m.  Blue's internal monitoring system is telling him that his waste disposal system needs emptying.  His antsiness is telling me that he needs a trip outside.  I stumble to his cage, open the door, walk down the stairs with both dogs, flip the front lights on, and let both boys out.  (Note:  Greg has done this multiple times over the last several months, with no negative repercussions.)

A few minutes later, as I lie dozing on the recliner, waiting for them to finish, I think I get a whiff of skunk.  This does not make me happy.

When I open the door, there is definitely "eau de skunk" in the air.  Becker is by the door, waiting to be let in.  He passes the nose test and is admitted.

I call Blue, who comes happily trotting over from next door. 

Blue most certainly does not pass the nose test.  He reeks so strongly of skunk that it doesn't even smell like skunk.  I can't believe he's not rolling in the dirt and rubbing his eyes, but he looks happy as can be.  "Guess what, Mom?!  I just got to play with a new friend!" 

Blue gets trotted out to the kennels and summarily joins the outdoor dogs for a night under the stars.  Two hours later, once my body has had time to relax from the adrenaline high of a skunky dog, followed by a trip (in bare feet and pjs) out to the kennel in 35 degree weather, and finally by a quick washdown of my hands and nose to remove the skunk oil Blue managed to share with me, I finally get back to sleep.

Needless to say, I didn't have the energy to tackle deskunking Blue yesterday, so he got a day's vacation in the outdoor kennel.


This morning, however, it was time to tackle the necessary.  I got out my skunk kit and added a wash cloth and a big bowl, then I changed into an old gardening shirt that could get bleached without harm.  Greg brought the offender inside and I got to work in the downstairs shower.  (This was our first use of said shower for its originally intended use.  It definitely proved its worth this morning!  Prior to remodeling the laundry room, I would have had to bathe Blue outside in the brisk 40 degree air, or take him all the way through the house and upstairs to the tub, perfuming the carpet and any other surfaces he touched along the way.)

So...soak with deskunking solution.  Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.


Rinse thoroughly.  Check for remnant skunk odor.  No skunk detected, but "eau de wet dog" is still less than appealing, so apply dog shampoo.


Rinse.  (Shake.)  Towel dry. 

Put Blue outside. Clean shower stall of caked dog hair and remnant soap. Wipe down shower.. and bathroom cabinets, walls, floor AND bathroom door because Blue determinedly shook after getting out of the shower but before we could get him outside.  Take a shower myself to remove residue of deskunking solution, dog hair, and dog shampoo.  Get dressed.   Finish cleaning up downstairs bathroom/laundry room.  Whew!  Mission finally accomplished.

Blue is now sweetly lying near my chair, once more allowed back in with the indoor pack.

And me?  I'm trying to figure out how 2 supposedly intelligent dogs can have such a hard time learning to leave black and white "play toys" alone!


3 comments:

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Hubby and I laughed out loud at Blue in the shower. Poor guy. :-)
What an adventure. Bad Blue. Good thing you're prepared and have a quarantine area to keep him until he could be cleaned. Good thinking on the shower set up!
Enjoy your freshly washed dog and very clean bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Poor you and poor Blue. Brilliant about the shower downstairs. I hate it when my dogs get skunked.~~Dee

Croft Gardener said...

Oh you made my laugh so much! No skunks on this side of the pond but whatever was ripe and very smelly my dogs would roll in. Sadly my two "dustbin" dogs are no longer with me, but they and their less than socially acceptable habits are not forgotten.