Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday Morning Grump

I'm feeling grinchy this morning.

It was a wonderfully cool morning when I went out to get the paper, but it's starting to heat up a bit. I'd love to have taken a walk-about, but someone is coming any moment now to take in one of our blinds for repair. Since the blinds are still under warranty for 5 1/2 more years, I didn't want to risk screwing them up by prying them out myself, so now I wait on someone else's convenience.

I'm getting positively unpleasant about having my mornings interrupted by outside commitments. My mornings have come to be very precious to me - whether I waste them away by sleeping in... or fritter them away reading the paper and playing on the computer... or delight in them by doing a walk-about... or use them constructively to water the garden or get housework or errands done. I "want what I want when I want it!", by golly - at least on weekday mornings.

I DON'T LIKE HAVING MY MORNINGS MESSED UP BY HAVING TO MARCH TO OTHER PEOPLE'S SCHEDULES.

Okay. Having whined and yelled a bit, I'll try to let my grump dissipate. Even if tomorrow is not as cool, we're heading into fall, and it's a sure bet that one of these upcoming mornings will be nice again. So I'll play around on the computer until Mr. Blind gets out of my way, then move on with the day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm...seriously? I mean...really?

I'll trade you. You can work to someone else's schedule 5+ days a week for the rest of your life, bare minimum 30 YEARS like I get to, and I'll take one morning where I have to...umm..wait for a guy to fix some blinds while I do whatever the hell I want in the interim around the house

I mean...not to complain about your complaining, but DAMN, that's cold.

Gaia Gardener: said...

Okay, I just erased a flaming answer.

I knew when I wrote this particular blog that a lot of folks would be upset by my complaining about having my free time frittered away by other people's schedules and priorities.

About all I'm going to say, at this point, is that I've spent a lot of my life (years of my life) taking care of other people's needs and wants and wishes, and I'm not going to feel guilty about enjoying a little freedom in my own life now. And part of that enjoyment is protecting that freedom, because otherwise, before I know it, all my "free" time will be taken up by others' expecting me to use it for their benefit.

Anonymous said...

As gaia said...

And...worked more than 40 hours per week for years to keep all others happy....and gave up desires and aspirations so others could have have security....and was "out of the box" with ideas for opportunities for others....and felt strongly this was the right thing to do....and now has the ability to control her life and wants to assert that when she can. Seems reasonable.

Anonymous said...

Okay, people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones, should they qkslvrwolf? I mean, Dad and I listen and understand when you whine about YOUR work hours and lets see... how much to you really work compared to either one of us? Gee, I'd love to only work 8 hours a day and get all weekends off, not to mention federal holidays. Golly, it would be great to be able to sleep all night long, every night.

And oh yes, who did Mom spend the majority of her life - that would be us kids. You and I. And who is she spending the majority of her life on/with now? That would be Dad. Our lives are easier because she has spent most of it at home waiting for someone to come pick up the blinds. Maybe your easier job allowed you the ability to get those little daily chores done with a minimum of hassle, but let me tell you what - mine has not. And I appreciate what she did for us and what she gave up for us more with every year. I am infinitely sorry for you that you have so little understanding for and empathy for the woman who raised you as to respond to her this way. Maybe she should have a been a little more selfish while we growing up and thus given real fodder to bitch about, instead of this. Grow up, baby brother.

Anonymous said...

Plus, can I just say - she in no way needed to publish your whiny, disrepectful little response. I am, in fact, amazed that she did. Her patience for both of us constantly amazes me.

Anonymous said...

I believe this is called a dog pile.