Monday, October 29, 2007

An Irruption Year?!

Judging from the recent additions to my bird-feeding population, this may very well be an irruption year.

Last week, a red breasted nuthatch started showing up regularly. It's still busily coming to and from its favorite feeder all day long.

Today I've seen 3 purple finches (2 female and a male) and a pine siskin too.

We were gone for 3 days over the weekend, so I have no idea exactly which day the purple finches and pine siskin showed up, but today was the first day I saw them.

Today was also the first day I've seen a goldfinch this fall.

A few Harris sparrows, juncos, and white crowned sparrows have been here for 2-3 weeks. Last week I saw a song sparrow and a couple white throated sparrows too, but they stopped in for a day, then seemed to move along.

It's shaping up to be an interesting year for bird feeding!

No comments: