Saturday, March 24, 2007

I Go to Nature....

My mother and I visited the Great Plains Nature Center today for a quick look-see. She'd never been there and I was happy to introduce her. It's a great place to be introduced to Kansas wildlife and plants, especially for children. (Of course, don't we all still have a big kid inside? I still get a kick out of seeing the actual depth of big bluestem roots, "petting" skunk fur, hearing a white-tail buck snort, and seeing a visual representation of the roots literally under our feet.)

Anyway, that's not really my point.

My point is that a quote they have painted on the wall really spoke to me today. It encapsulates why Prairiewolf and I moved back to Kansas and, specifically, to acreage in the country.

"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in tune once more."
- John Burroughs

Everytime I walk out the door into the yard, I feel myself returning to true pitch. We are so incredibly lucky.

No comments: