Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Wishing for Rain

I'm back from San Antonio, where I actually got to experience that wet stuff falling from the sky. I hear it's called rain. Funny, we haven't had much experience with that here in Mobile lately. For a city that I've seen described as the wettest metropolitan area in the continental U.S., that's rather unusual.

I saw a report on the Weather Channel this morning - Mobile is behind over 20" of rain for the year. Given that our specific location has missed at least 5" of rain that the airport received during the last few months, that makes our yard/garden behind by about 25". And that's just for this year. We were dry for the last 4 months of 2005 too.

My water bill was outrageous last month (about 6X normal, to be somewhat more precise). In the area of the yard that I haven't watered, even the pokeweed (!) is wilting.

There's a chance that we'll get rain on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. (For the uninitiated, that's my tried & true, highly scientific method of encouraging events to happen....) Meanwhile, I'm dragging hoses around the yard and figuratively watching the water meter spin around and around.

And I'm thinking of all the places that are flooding this year...which reminds me of "An Inconvenient Truth". If you haven't seen it yet, I have to reiterate: Go see it. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: