Monday, August 25, 2008

Sometimes I Just Feel So Lucky....

Sometimes I just feel so lucky to be who I am, living where I am, and today is one of those days. (At least, it is now that I've gotten over my early morning funk...and the guy is here fixing the blinds!)
We live in Kansas on just 10 acres, which seems "ordinary" enough, but here are a couple views from our little homestead....



The path, through a nice stand of big bluestem and other prairie grasses, from the house to the draw and the Beyond.


The path through the draw and into the Beyond.



The bottomlands in the draw. The brown area in the foreground is the remnant of one of the poison ivy stands that Prairiewolf has been trying to fight back.


The Back of Beyond, otherwise known as the Back Five. This photo was taken in early July, looking back towards the draw, and it shows the silver bluestem catching the light.

Yes, our land is fairly flat. Yes, our land has more grass than trees...and maybe more "weeds" than grass. And, yes, at least half of our land is overgrazed pasture. But it fascinates me and anchors me and challenges me and grounds me.

Sometimes I just feel so lucky....

1 comment:

Kitt said...

You are indeed very lucky.