Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Slightly Odd Weather Trivia

Every night I record the daily high and low temperature wherever I've been. I don't know why, except that my journal has a spot to do it, so I do. I also record the basic weather info (sunny, cloudy, rainy, snowy). Nothing fancy. Truthfully, nothing too terribly accurate. My "stats" are a guess, as often as not.

Last night I decided to check out the wireless weather station gizmo that we bought when we first moved in. Both Prairiewolf and I seemed to recall that it recorded high and low temperatures, and I was hoping to increase my daily weather reporting accuracy, at least here at home.

I found out that our weather station does indeed record minimum and maximum temperatures. Unfortunately for the accuracy of my journal entries, it doesn't reset automatically every 24 hours, but has to be manually reset. Be that as it may, I learned some rather fun weather data by checking out this feature....

We bought the weather station on January 10th, not too long after we moved in here. It has been continuously operating since then. (It's battery operated, so power outages have not affected it.) The minimum temperature it recorded was 7.1 degrees Fahrenheit on February 16 at 3 a.m. That's not terribly surprising. The maximum temperature it has recorded, through this morning, was 81.1 degrees Fahrenheit on February 4th at 5:19 p.m. That one surprised me. Despite all the warm weather we had during March, February 4th actually recorded the highest temperature so far.

Ain't the prairie great? From 81 degrees to 7 degrees in 12 days. One of many reasons this is a challenging place for people AND plants to survive....

No comments: